Department of Sanitation FAQs

Back to Department of Sanitation

  • You can bring your waste, recycling, or yard waste to our facility, which is located at 4550 Hwy 64 West, Conway AR 72034. You will proceed West on Hwy 64, pass Hogan Lane on your left and Boone Loop Road on your right.

    You will then take the next right on to Cheryl Harrington Road.

    The ReUse Center and Material Recovery Facility building will be on the left.

    Keep driving until you cross the railroad tracks, then take an immediate right. You will see our scale house booth directly in front of you, as well as our main office on the left. Pull up on the scale and our employees will greet you.

    Please have a copy of your Conway Corp bill and an I.D. to verify your address.

  • We encourage all customers and partners to “Like” and “Follow” us on Facebook page @ConwaySanitation and to follow us on Twitter @CwyARSanitation. Our Department updates our followers on current issues regularly. Also, please check our website for more information about our services, hours, FAQs, etc.

  • Our recycling program does accept glass; however, glass products cannot be co-mingled in your recycle cart. The Department will provide you with a free, glass only bin. Please note that glass will be collected only on your trash collection day. Labels and lids can be left on your glass products. Clean and rinse your glass containers prior to placing them in your recycling bin. No lightbulbs of any type will be accepted in our glass recycling program. Please call our office at 501.450.6155 to receive your glass bin.

  • All recycling needs to be bagged prior to placing in blue bins (City Ordinance 08-34)

    • Plastics #1-7 only
    • Phone Books
    • Paper Boxes (no liners)
    • Aluminum (Cans, pie tins, etc.)
    • Cardboard
    • Metal Cans
    • Newspapers / Inserts
    • Mail / Magazines / Catalogs
    • Mixed paper
    • Frozen food boxes (no food residue)

    The following items are accepted but must be bagged separately.

    • Shredded Paper
    • Styrofoam (only white, may have printed ink on item)
    • Plastic Film/Bags (i.e. grocery store bag)
  • The Department of Sanitation will take reusable items in good to excellent condition for inclusion into our ReUse Center. The ReUse Center can provide a donation receipt for tax purposes. For more information about our ReUse Center, please visit and follow our Facebook page @ConwayReuseCenter

  • We do not pick up bulk waste curbside. You may bring bulk waste items to the landfill only. Please note that some items will require a small fee for disposal. If you have a question on your bulk waste items please contact our office at 501.450.6155

  • We do not pick up tires curbside; however, Conway residents who bring an ID and a current Conway Corp. bill may bring up to four (4) passenger tires, off the rim, per month without a charge. There is a handling charge for anything over that limit or for over-sized tires (e.g. tractor tires). Faulkner County residents may drop-off tires off the rim for a nominal fee. Do not place tires in your recycling bin.
    NOTE: Commercial tire dealers with large volumes may want to consider calling (501.450.6155) before coming out to make sure that there is sufficient room in the tire bin.

  • Our employees work very hard to meet the waste collection expectations of every Conway resident/business, but every now and then, unpredicted events can occur (e.g., broken equipment, weather). If you are missed, contact our office at 501.450.6155. Our staff will investigate further and solve any issues regarding your waste/recycling pickup needs.

    NOTE: In regards to the rules regarding waste/recycling curbside collection, the resident/business must follow the rules stated below or collection may not occur.

    1. You must place carts on a flat surface at least 3 feet away from all obstacles (e.g., other carts, utility poles, mail boxes, vehicles, sign post, etc.) and within two (2) feet of the curb thus avoiding damage to the mechanical arm of our equipment and your property.
    2. Place cart so that the handle (and wheels) face away from the street. The lid must be closed completely. No garbage/recycling materials may be sticking out of the can.

  • We are a solid waste facility and not permitted to accept any liquids in our landfill (be it chemicals, paints, bodily fluids, etc.)
    Residents (not commercial businesses) may dispose of small amounts of latex paint if it is dried to a solid (80% minimum) using kitty litter, sawdust or dirt-not sand; it should be capped, in its original container and labeled "solid."
    Pouring it on the ground can harm our streams, lakes or ground water; pouring it down the sink can be harmful and difficult to treat at the water treatment facility. It is best to use it up, dry it out, or donate to programs, such as Habitat for Humanity.

  • We do not recycle florescent bulbs/cfl/light bulbs curbside. Please do not place any fluorescent/cfl/light bulbs in your regular recycling bin or recycling glass container. Conway residents may bring 4 bulbs for free each month. After that, each bulb is 50 cents each. Some business around Conway will take your used bulbs for recycling (e.g. Home Depot)

  • We do! We rent and maintain service on 20, 30 and 40 yard roll-off containers. Please call us (501.450.6155) to discuss availability and rates for rental/hauling.
    Blue carts and/or dumpsters for "Recyclables only" are free of charge and no fee for service.

  • The lead, mercury and many other elements in computers and other electronics, are very hazardous to our waterways and environment when disposed of improperly. Please do not put any e-waste items in your green or blue carts. All e-waste must be brought to our landfill.
    Every spring around the month of April, our Department partners with the Faulkner County Solid Waste Management District to host an FREE Electronic Waste Drive, where Faulkner County citizens can bring any e-waste item (must have a computerized, microchip, no appliances) to be recycled.

  • Yes! We will accept any items that we actively recycle at our facility free of charge; however you must bring them to our facility if you live outside the city limits of Conway.
    If you live in Faulkner County, but outside the city limits, you can contact the Faulkner County Solid Waste Management District to have your recycling collected for free. For more information, call 501.336.0758 or email /

  • For safety reasons, residents who use medical waste products for in-home health care, need to take special care for everyone involved, including our employees. If possible, it is better to use a professional disposal system. If you currently have a doctor or home health care provider that accepts your used needles, bandages, IV bags, etc., please continue to use this means of disposal.
    If you do not have access to the resources mentioned above, please use the following methods for proper in home disposal:

    1. Place used needles/sharps, or any other type of contaminated medical materials hard plastic screw top container (e.g. a sharps container or a plastic laundry detergent bottle)
    2. Pour 1 part hypochlorite bleach and 10 parts water into the plastic container, let stand for 10 minutes, then drain into a sink or commode. Then securely close your plastic container.
    3. Boldly label on the outside of your container “SHARPS/MEDICAL WASTE”

    For more information about proper needle/sharps disposal, please read the following document from the Arkansas Department of Health’s GUIDELINES FOR SAFE MANAGEMENT & DISPOSAL OF HOUSEHOLD-GENERATED NEEDLES AND SHARPS

  • No. We are a solid waste facility and not permitted to accept any liquids in our landfill (be it chemicals, paints, bodily fluids, etc.) Businesses with these types of products should first follow the proper disposal guidelines on the containers and follow procedures set up by their governing bodies.

    Although you are responsible for monitoring and keeping these materials out of the regular waste stream, our state governing and inspection agency (ADEQ) requires us to do random waste screenings of businesses due to the ban of certain materials, including bio-hazardous waste and liquids of any kind, from entering the landfill. Please contact our Landfill Manager at 733-5606 if you have any questions regarding this procedure.

    Contact Numbers:

    For spills and emergencies, call 911
    Ark. Dept. of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), Hazardous Waste Division, (501)682-0833
    ADEQ main number (501) 682-0744
    Faulkner County Dept. of Emergency Services: 450-4935
    Ark. Dept. of Emergency Management (ADEM): instant report 1-800 322-4012
    Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222

  • It depends on the type of material.

    If you have any materials that require special handling (e.g. contaminated dirt, asbestos, etc.), please call our office at 501.450.6155 to make sure we can accept it and to make arrangements for disposal is applicable.

    We require two separate forms before materials can be disposed of safety:

    • Generator Certificate – description of the waste
    • A form that will be completed by our Department that formally accepts the waste